Alex is an award-winning bespoke Hand Embroidery practitioner for fashion, costume and textile art. Originally from the Lake District, Alex made the move to London when she started her training at the Royal School of Needlework. She specializes in the historic and prestigious Goldwork technique to showcase the fine art of embroidery whilst also ensuring the timeless craft is not lost. She has a passion for creating pattern through colour and texture by the updating and reinventing of traditional embroidery skills with the exploration of unconventional materials.
Ralph and Russo
- Embroidery Assistant (Full-time).
Ralph and Russo
- Full-time freelance embroiderer working with the Haute Couture embroidery finishing team.
Cathryn Avison: Embroidery Designer
- Goldwork Embroidery for upcoming film
M Industry London
- Internship embroidering patches for their bags
-Stitching Embroidered Motifs onto Garments for their Autumn/ Winter 2017 Pre-Collection
-Finishing of Garments for Private Customers
Game of Thrones
- Large Installation Making the Release of Season 5 on DVD and Season 6. Worked on the 3D Construction of the Whitewalker, Explored a Variety of Multimedia Textiles and Surface Decoration
-Stitching Swarovski Crystals onto Garments for Ready-To-Wear Autumn/Winter 2016 Collection
Drawn and Formed, The Goldsmith’s Centre, London: an exhibition of craft and artworks made using Gold and Silver wire.
2020 (Canceled Covid 19)
Emma Hunt’s Summer Exhibition of Cumbrian Creatives, The Rum Story, Whitehaven: my ‘Metamorphic’ series of hand-embroidered artworks was displayed.
Tullie House Community Gallery, Carlisle: Windows of Hope.
T is for Textiles, Rheged Gallery, Penrith: exhibition displaying textile works from local artists.
Hand & Lock, Bishopsgate Institute, London: pop-up exhibition showcasing the Hand & Lock The Prize 2018 finalists.
New Designers, Business Design Centre
- Final Major Project and Portfolio Displayed as Part of the RSN Stand
RSN Degree Show, Hampton Court Palace
- Final Major Project and Portfolio Displayed
Knitting & Stitching Show, Alexandra Palace, Harrogate and Ireland
-Off the Surface Collar Displayed as Part of the RSN Stand
Off the Surface, Devon of Guild Craftsmen, Bovey Tracey
-Collars, Sample Boards and Sketchbook
Knitting & Stitching Show, Kensington Olympia, London
- Canvas and Crewelwork Embroidery Frames Displayed as Part of the Mr X Stitch Stand
Emerge Competition (Carlisle Hope Festival): Shortlisted
Gold & Silver Wyre Drawers award for best Goldwork embroidery in the Hand & Lock The Prize 2018.
Hand & Lock The Prize – 1st place winner in the student textile art category.
One Year In – Spotted at New Designers.
Make International awarded me an accommodation at New Designers.
Texselect, placed within Top 50.
'Best Metal Thread Embroidery' awarded by the RSN, sponsored by the Worshipful Company of Gold and Silver Wyre Drawers
'Dissertation Award' awarded by the RSN sponsored by The Arts Society (Greater London)
Janet Churm Bursary
'Best Technical Stitch' awarded by the RSN sponsored by The Worshipful Company of Needlemakers
Selected for the final 16 of the London heats, Society of Colourist and Dyers competition
National Association of Decorative & Fine Arts Societies (NADFAS) bursary
'Most Promising First Year' awarded by the RSN, sponsored by friends of the RSN
Education & Professional Training
Master of Science in Textiles from the University of Leeds: Pass with Distinction.
Royal School of Needlework
- BA (Hons) Hand Embroidery for Fashion, Interiors, Textile Art
-A levels: A in Maths and Chemistry, B in Art
- AS levels: A in Maths and Chemistry, B in Art and Geography
- GCSEs: 4 A*s, 7As, 1B and 2 Distinctions
LAMDA (London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts)
-Grade 5 and 4: Distinction in Solo Acting
Central Saint Martins
- Short Course in Fashion Design